Skip Navigation and Section Links - Go To Content Your online down home newspaper

Making the Argument

The Hard Truth: Read Your Lease, or Waive Your Rights

By Michelle Fulton

September 21, 2004

The information in this column is not intended as legal advice but to provide a general understanding of the law. Any readers with legal problems, including those whose questions are addressed here, should consult attorneys for advice on their particular circumstances.

Q: I live in an apartment complex that I believe is substandard. Everything is broken, it’s filthy, the toilets leak, the apartments are infested with bugs and roaches, there has been damage done to our apartment by water overflowing from the toilets. We’ve gone to the office and complained numerous times, but so far nothing has been done. We want to move and break our lease. Can we do that?

A: That depends. First, you need to read your lease. Most apartment leases spell out a requirement that you put requests for repairs in writing. However, there are a few major repairs that are not required to be put in writing under Texas Law. Those are fire, smoke, gas, explosions, overflowing sewage, uncontrollable running water, electrical shorts, or a crime in progress.

All other requests for repairs should be put in writing and mailed to the manager’s office certified mail, return receipt requested. Once they receive your request, they have a reasonable amount of time to cure the problem.

Texas does not have a set definition of “reasonable,” but most likely 7-10 days would be found to be reasonable for minor repairs. If your air conditioning goes out in the summer and they do not fix it within 24 hours, you can always call the health department. They will generally make the apartments fix the air conditioning promptly (the same applies to heat in the winter).

If they fail to repair your apartment in a reasonable time, you have three options: 1) You can terminate the lease; 2) have the condition repaired; 3) sue and force a rent reduction; or 4) recover damages of one month’s rent plus $500.00. If you hire an attorney to represent you and your suit is successful, then the landlord is liable for your attorney’s fees.

Bottom line: Read your lease carefully and comply with all of its provisions, or else you are in danger of waiving your remedies. Reading is fundamental!

Michelle Fulton is an attorney at The Fulton Law Firm, PLLC. If you have a legal problem you would like her to address, you may e-mail your request to or mail your request to her at 806 Hwy. 3, Houston, Texas 77058.

1. The Hard Truth: What Happens to Your Young Children When You Die? It May Not Be What You Think - August 5, 2004

2. The Hard Truth: Guardianship of Minors Is a Serious Issue - Plan Wisely - August 16, 2004

3. The Hard Truth: Designate Your Guardians in Accordance With the Law...and Do It Quietly - August 23, 2004 article

Legal: The Hard Truth: Landlords- Beware: Locking Out Tenants Can be Costly - Procedure for a proper lock-out - August 31, article

Legal: The Hard Truth: Security Deposits and the Burden of Proof - September 6, 2004 article

Legal: The Hard Truth: If You Don’t Have A Will, The Government Will Make One For You - September 16, 2004 article


Go to Section Links
© 2004-2006
League City Area News Online.
All rights reserved.
The opinions expressed in this or any other column are those of the author, not the League City Area News Online or its staff or any of its affiliates. Any and all responses to any of the columnists are welcome.
Web design by Webmaster
Marilyn Clark.
Send comments and Letters to the Editor to:
League City Area News Online, P. O. Box 1693, League City, Texas 77574-1693

Please include your address and phone number for verification purposes.
Send e-mail to the Webmaster if there are problems with the web site.